Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

1. I would like to return to my home country. Can IOM UK help?

If you are an irregular migrant, an asylum seeker, or a failed asylum seeker and wish to return to your home country, please contact the Home Office Voluntary Departure Service at 0300 004 0202 (Monday – Friday between 09.00 and 17.30). If you require assistance with travel documents or the flight booking but no additional special assistance, please email: you require special assistance, such as medical help or reintegration assistance in the country of return, please contact: 

If you are an Iraqi national and would like advice on reintegration assistance through job placement then IOM UK may be able to help you. Please contact us at for further advice.

2. I am a victim of trafficking / I am in contact with a victim of trafficking. Can IOM UK help?

If you are a victim of human trafficking or are in contact with a victim and require urgent help, please contact the police. If you are not in an urgent situation, you can contact the Modern Slavery Helpline for further advice on 0800 0121 700 and

For assistance with temporary accommodation and support as well as referrals into the National Referral Mechanism, please contact the Salvation Army on 0300 303 8151.

3. I am a victim of trafficking and would like to return home. Can IOM UK help?

IOM UK cannot usually assist victims of trafficking who wish to return home; however, some IOM country offices can support victims of trafficking who wish to return home from the UK.  Please contact us at for further advice.

4. I am a recognised refugee in the UK and would like my family to be reunited with me here. Can IOM UK help?

If you are a recognised refugee (or have been granted humanitarian protection) and would like to be reunited with your family in the UK, you may be able to apply for support from the British Red Cross at  If you have a successful application for family reunion through the British Red Cross, they may contact IOM for travel assistance.

5. I would like to be considered for resettlement in the UK. Can IOM UK help?

Unfortunately, IOM UK is not able to directly assist individuals to resettle in the UK. In order to find out if you are eligible for resettlement to the UK or another resettlement State as a recognised refugee, please contact your nearest UNHCR office. The UNHCR resettlement webpage here and the UK Country Chapter in the UNHCR Resettlement Handbook (available here) can also provide you with further general information on resettlement.

For further information on the UK government resettlement programme, please refer to the Home Office website for details of the Gateway Protection Programme and for the Mandate Refugees Scheme

If you have been accepted for resettlement in the UK, IOM will most likely coordinate your pre-departure and travel assistance. 

If you would like information about other ways of relocating to the UK, you can contact your local British Embassy or High Commission for guidance. A list of British Embassies around the world can be found at   

6. I would like advice on claiming asylum in the UK. Can IOM UK help?

For information on how to claim asylum in the UK, please visit the ‘claim asylum in the UK’ page on the Home Office website at

For independent asylum advice and asylum support advice, your can seek further guidance from Asylum help at or on 0808 8000 630.

7. I would like legal advice about my asylum claim or immigration status. Can IOM UK help?

Unfortunately, IOM UK is not able to provide legal advice or immigration advice. If you are in need of legal advice, private solicitors or specialised agencies will be able to help. In some cases, certain agencies may be able to provide the service free of charge.

Asylum Aid is a specialised agency that may be able to help you. Please contact them on +44 (0)207 354 9264 or email at

For information about other law firms who may be able to provide asylum and immigration advice you may wish to search the Office of the Immigration Services Commissioner (OISC) Advisor website at:  

8. I am an international student looking to return home after my studies / I am permanently migrating to another country. Can IOM UK help me with a reduced air fare?

IOM UK offers travel assistance to international students and individuals permanently migrating to other countries. This self-paying service provides individuals with special reduced one-way economy fare and extra baggage allowance, as well as flexible conditions (such as the possibility of re-booking or cancellation without penalty, depending on the airline).

For further information, visit this page or call us on +44 (0)207 811 6000.